Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Evening Bookgroup


Tonight was the first meeting of our new evening bookgroup, and this is the first book we've chosen to read. It was one I recommended. I haven't read it, but it's about Adele, the ward of Rochester...the daughter of his former "lover" who was the actress and dancer in Paris. Remember her from "Jane Eyre?" Well, this story of Adele tells us what she thinks of Mr. Rochester and Jane Eyre, how she feels about the mysterious happenings up the staircase, who is Rochester to her...father or simply a kind man who's "ward" she is, and more I hope. Those who don't remember "Jane Eyre" will either read the book again or see the PBS movie so they can keep up with the discussion. It was such fun tonight! A great group of women, and all of us so excited to start our club. We are an off-shoot of Newcomers of Naples, so all making new friends.
Here are the other two books we will be reading for the following 2 months:
The Memorykeeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow-Lindburg (An absolute must read for everybody on earth! I give it to everybody I know and love!!)
Here were other suggested books we didn't choose for the next 3 months but may go back to:
Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos
Snow Flower and Secret Fan
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picot (?)
March
Revenge of the Middle-aged Woman
The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates
Arthur and George by Julian Barnes
The Kite Runner
If any of you have bookgroups and want to share with me books you've enjoyed, all of us would love to hear about them. I'm still smiling...we had so much fun tonight; they don't want anyone else to join us and wanted me to close the group to new members!! Naughty girls! Will just have to help others start another group...

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Looks like a good read, I love that genre of book. Right now I am reading Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir right now, it's her first fiction book.

Deb said...

That sounds good, too, Katrina. What's it about?
Deb