Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Favorite Floor Frame

I thought I would share with you my favorite stitching tools and things. One of my stitching friends on Noble Needle was asking about frames today. Here's a pic. of my favorite. It's from "K's Creations."

I prefer this frame for a number of reasons: It's portable/easily collapsible for taking to classes, stitch-ins and guild meetings; and it's strong and sturdy. It's also very user-friendly and flexible, as it takes so many sizes of scroll frames and needlepoint frames, and the little "jaws" turn so it's easy to get to the back of your work. This frame also has lots of accessories, and it's strong enough to hold all of them. It is a little pricey, but for a once-in-a-lifetime investment, it's the way to go.


My favorite laying tool is a trolley needle. It's such a simple little device. If your silk threads are twisted and won't lay nicely they won't shine well, so you really need this handy little tool that fits over your left thumb. It's easy to wear and it works like a charm! I have fancy laying tools that are handmade and beautiful...some are blown glass! But, this slightly ugly little tool is great.

I have to have my Dazor Light! I have the white one on wheels. I don't know how I would see without it! I can see 40 ct. linen with it like I was a new born baby!! :)) I also have a small Ott Light for travel.

My favorite all time scissors are these stork scissors. I collect scissors and have lots of different ones in gold and silver and plated and enameled, and bronzed, etc.. but when you boil it all down, if I had to choose one to use all the time, it would be the traditional ol' storks.

11 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

That floorstand of yours is fabulous, Deb! Have a lovely day :)

Kitty Couture said...

ps: you're up early, aren't you?

Sue said...

That floor frame looks great. I don't use a frame when I cross stitch but I do when I needlepoint. I might have to look into that frame ;)

The Silver Thistle said...

I'm an 'in hand' stitcher and can't get to grips at all with frames and such. I've tried them all and could open a shop with the stands, frames and hoops I've bought over the years. I DO however like the Q snaps I bought recently to hold my Medieval Town Mandala. It works a treat!!

I'm a stork scissor gal too, lol. I love those wicked sharp beaks, eheheh.

Alberta said...

Lucky you to have such a great frame to work from. DH made me once but I wore it out!

BeckySC said...

Great stand, Deb :)

tintocktap said...

Great tips, Deb! I'm really interested in your using a trolley needle - do you use it for all your stitching? How do you find it? Just curious as I've only come across laying tools in relation to canvaswork which I wish I had more time for.

Michelle said...

Fabulous tools - thanks for sharing. I've never heard of a trolley needle before!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Dazor lights..hmmm...I'm going to have to look into those...I use OTT, but am not happy with the floor models.

Wendy said...

I love your Dazor light ~ I really need something with a magnifier and the combined light one sounds perfect. But I have to admit the trolley tool sounds a little medieval! I think hubby would be a little afraid if I took to using something like that. Might not be a bad idea....;-D

Von said...

Hmmm, I think I see a Dazor in my future!! :D