Friday, February 6, 2009

The Peeping Tom


First of all let me thank all of you dear friends who left comments on my last entry. I was so happy to read all you said. You make me feel wonderful! :)


Now for the Tom story: About 5 weeks ago, I was in my bed sleeping soundly with my little Yorkie, Clara, snug in her bed underneath our bed. I'm a light sleeper, and Clara is too. I was awakened by something, then heard a man's voice...angry...saying, "Shit!" This was outside my window just by my head...fortunately my blinds were drawn. Clara started barking and I didn't hear anything else. I was afraid to look outside. The clock said about 10:30 PM. My DH was not home...he was working. I went back to sleep because I'd taken a sleeping pill.


Then, a week ago, Clara started barking at the front door. I was lying on the sofa watching tv. Again, my DH wasn't home...he was working late. I heard the door rattle and then 2 knocks on the glass of the door. All of my blinds were up and my lights were on. I called my DH's name...no answer. Then, about a minute later, there were 2 taps on the window just behind my head.

I didn't look around, naturally. But, I knew there was someone there because the taps had been the same 2 counts. About 4 minutes later, my DH pulled up in the drive and came in.


I told him what had happened and he went immediately outside, but saw nothing, of course. He called the police who came and said that this guy was now uping the situation by getting closer to me. And, that it was a dangerous situation. Each time it's been 10:30-11:00 PM and on a Sat. or Sun. night.


The police told us to keep all the draperies and blinds closed at night, and to get lights that come on if anyone or anything walks near them. We've done that. They are going to patrol my neighborhood more now.


We have a gated community which has been so safe and there has been no trouble like this in all the 4 years I've been here. So, it's a bit scary. I told my next door neighbor on Sunday after the taps and she asked me if my handyman smoked. I told her I didn't have a handyman.... She said she smelled smoke outside of her tv room the night before and found a cigarette butt outside the window!! They also leave their blinds open, and she was watching tv alone about 10:30 PM, with the window open! We bagged the cigarette for the police.


The police told me they will catch him even if they have to dress in camoflage and hide out for him. But, meanwhile, I'm closed in at night like a tomb!! Especially on Sat. and Sunday nights when DH works!!


Will let you know if anything further develops.... PS: Clara needs to go to her groomer, I know!!! :p But, doesn't she look scary??


Hugs, Deb

18 comments:

tintocktap said...

Oh Deb, that's scary! I'd hate to be alone in the house under those circumstances. Take care and keep well!

Sally said...

OMG, Deb, that is so scary! Stay safe and keep us posted. Hope they catch him soon.

Katrina said...

Deb that is so scary! I hope they catch him soon. I would be torn between not wanting to be scared out of my own home and figuring out where I could spend the evening when my DH wasn't home. Be safe.

Kathy A. said...

Oh hon, how scary that must be for you. Please, be careful and take care of yourself!!!

monique said...

Very creepy, Deb!! Hope they catch him soon!

Ranae said...

Clara is adorable.
I hope they catch that creep soon

Patricia Lessell said...

Clara looks as scary as my Gracie Amelia (one Yorkie two names). That is really scary. How can somebody get into a gated community? I hope they catch that creep really soon. Love Patti xxx

mainely stitching said...

I would certainly not mess with Clara - she looks like she means business!

Since getting Rigby, we have not been burgled (we had been, twice, before we got him). But we live in what the Dutch call a 'mixed' neighborhood, so when we've called the police, they barely bother to respond. I'm glad you're in a safer, more guarded community and I hope they catch this person very fast!!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that is freaky!! Take good care of yourself, Deb! And: GO CLARA!!

Annemarie said...

Eeeeek! That sounds pretty scary, Deb! But what a blessing to have such a fierce hound by your side to warn you - and others - that you are well protected. BTW? When I get a dog (and I WILL, one day) it will be a Yorkie.

Jeanne said...

Stay safe Deb - that is scary but good thing to talk to the neighbors so you are in it together and can watch out for each other. I have 2 dogs that bark if they hear a pin drop a block away. Mostly this is annoying except in cases like yours!

Cindy F. said...

OH MY GOSH!! That is scarey!! Clara is precious and I'm sure she's a wonderful watch girl!
Stay safe and be careful. I hope they catch the sicko very soon!

Valda said...

That is very scary! Hope they catch him soon!

Von said...

Oh, Deb! Take all the precautions you can and I'll be praying they catch this guy. Yappy little dogs are great to have around in such situations. :)

Miokka said...

Holly molly.... I thought I was your only stalker!
Stay safe & keep that cell phone close by.
Hope you are feeling better and healing fast. I'm sorry to be so far behind.

Stitching Cat said...

OMG Deb! This is scary. Glad that you told then neighbor and you should probably call each (after the police of course) the next time you hear anything. Clara is adorable! Hope you are recovering from everything and you certainly don't need this on top of all you've been through lately. Miss you. Deb

Marie said...

This is scary! Thankfully the police are watching out for this nut, but you must be careful. I do not believe that sweet little Clara will scare this creep off, sweet little Clara needs protecting as well.
I will keep my fingers crossed that this person is caught soon.
I am returning to CT on 2/16to be there for the movers ~ I will email you this week with the details...stay safe.

Lynn said...

Deb, I'm so glad your DH arrived home when he did and that you called the police. This is very frightening especially since you've been alone each time. Besides your cell phone you should keep your car remote close at hand. I've been told that if you hear a prowler and press the alarm on your car remote that it will often frighten them off.
Keep safe!