Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Southern Writers and Okra Picks Challenge

If you haven't already heard about it, I'm delighted to tell you about the Souther Writers "Okra Picks Challenge." 

Please click on the headline above to find out all about this Challenge which was inspired and founded by Southern authors, themselves!  And, I for one am glad they  thought of it!

I have to admit to a favoritism for Southern writers. There's just something about their gothic vision, their love of the grotesque, family secrets, dark arts, legends, mysteries, old customs and humor that's based in the roots of our people. I love Southerners and those who write about them and all their idiosyncracies. Anyone remember "A Rose for Emily," by William Faulkner? That's the best short story I've ever read to date!

Here's a link to "...Emily" just in case you want to read or reread it: http://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/litweb05/workshops/fiction/faulkner1.asp


At any rate, this blog entry has to do with the great Challenge (not Oprah but Okra...thanks be to God!) having to do with reading until March, 2011. Such fun! Follow the link at the beginning to find about it in detail.


We have to list the books we've chosen to read from a suggested list of fiction and non-fiction of recently published books.
I'm reading the following:

This might be the only novel, novel I'm reading that's for the storytelling.  I'm expecting it to be one that captures my interest like a Pat Conroy novel did.  We'll see....

Oh, yeah!  A real Southern, downhome gothic, and grotesque novel about a Louisiana family with all the gusto that comes with weirdness and strangeness!  Just my cup of tea!


This one really got my attention: stories of celebrated musicians and famous people who came to Nashville and why they came in the first place!


I can never resist a Kathy Reichs forensics novel! She's just awesome and frightenly good at what she does.  What a talented author, doctor and tv advisor!


Pat Conroy's story of how books saved him in a life of hardtimes.


I hope you'll join us.  I'd love to see what you've chosen and to keep following up with you as you review and talk about why the books chose you!

Bye for now, and have a very Happy Thanksgiving,

Your Bookish and Southern Dame/  Deborah

No comments: