Friday, November 6, 2009

Stitching Update and Books

My apologies to you all for the long blog entry. Skim, if you want. I just have a need to share books and stitching today.

Here is a picture of my latest part on our Quaker Friendship Sampler RR. This one is Sharyn R.'s piece. You can see my stitching on the lower right-hand side. The two large medallions and the tiny one & initials. It's feeling kind of sad that our group is drawing to a close. But, we've decided to make our next project in Jan.: "The Hunt." My camera is soooo off in this picture. Sharyn's fabric is really a vintage coffee color and her thread is an oxblood red hand-dyed color!

Below is the last picture I've seen of my own piece of Quaker Friendship RR so far. I'm so excited to see it in whole when it comes home in December! Didn't everyone do a great job!?
I chose these different pastel and crayon colors,(more pink in the last parts!).
Am I the last to know that Amazon.com has DVDs/movies on demand for $1.99, which you can download onto your computer for several week intervals? I quick like a bunny got my first one today: Middlemarch, by George Eliot. I've seen it before, but I love it. There's always something you missed the first and second times. :] You can also download the movies (and tv shows, BTW) to your portable DVD and MP3 players. Perfect for me. I don't know why I'm just finding this out!!!
I love this DVD movie of Gaskell's, "Wives and Daughters." She is an amazing author and this made to a movie piece is so beautiful. If you like Jane Austen's and Henry James's books made as movies, I think you'll like this one. Dame Judith Dench never gives us a wrong portrayal, but you'll also love these other characters. Same beautiful clothes, settings and landscape to charm...
I'm a huge Anthony Trollope fan. Have you read any of his novels? In this movie you will meet a fabulous cast of characters, you'll find love, humor and angst and delight. There are breathtakingly picturesque interiors, clothing and landscape along with the dialogue. I highly recommend this and any other Trollope books and/or movies you can get your hands on....he's also like Jane Austen, except the male version.

You knew I'd have to come back with a review on this one. It's complicated because I love Anne Rice as an author in her Vampire and Mayfair Witches series' but I wasn't a fan of her latest stories of Christ novels. I prefer the Biblical revelations about Jesus.

This book of Ms. Rice's is a connumdrum for me. It does take one back to her earlier writing style; in that we see more of her attention to architecture, arts, music, books and history. Her story line is interesting. However, throughout we get the pounding drum of angels who assit in coversions or reconversions to Catholicism. Every vignette leads us there. I'm not saying that's bad or wrong, it's just so blatant and it somehow takes away from the continuity and honesty of the story being told. I could see it for the first, main character....but Ms. Rice seems to be telling us her own personal story over and over so we'll "Get" it!

Would I recommend this book? I have to say I would with a 3 star rating, just because the book flows and there's a sort of suspense to it, or maybe I was just caught by the curiosity factor. I would also suggest you wait until it comes out in paperback, or that you get it for your Kindle for $9.99, (which is going to be cheaper than the paperback!). For those true Anne Rice fans of old.....she's not really come back to us, yet, sad to say.
Have you heard of Lisa Unger? I hadn't either until I met a friend at the Club pool who has a Kindle, who recommended her to me. This was a really good suspense novel, fast paced and such an interesting story line. I'm ready to read all of her books after this one. I highly recommend her to my mystery/suspense novel reading friends. If you're lookin' for Vampires....this is not your book. If you like Jody P., you'll like Lisa Unger.
I'm currently trying to add some stitching on my "Beatrix Potter...Ackworth Sampler," and I'm looking for a new chart that is supposed to be an Akworth but isn't sold by Needleprint called, "Mary B..." Does anyone have it, and can you direct me to it to get a copy online?? I can't find it anywhere on my normal shop stops!!
Happy Weekend of Stitching and Reading and Whatever your hearts desire! :]
Deb

15 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Beautiful stitching on the Quaker Friendship Sampler RR, Deb! I really like them both - different color ways but both extraordinary!

Thanks for the suggestions on viewing and reading material. I've made a note.

Cheryl said...

Your stitching is beautiful Deb! I so enjoy your book reviews too, thanks.
Have a lovely weekend x

Lynn B said...

Hi Deb

Thanks for the tip about Amazon, I did not know that either! I have my thinking cap on regarding our exchange, I haven't forgot! lol

Siobhán said...

Lovely stitching, Deb!

I have Anne Rice's book on my want-to-read list. I did like her witch series, and some of the vampire books. I am not sure if I've read Lisa Unger's books but will look her up! Thanks for the reviews.

Margaret said...

Beautiful Quaker RRs. Love the colors in yours! Those DVDs you are talking about look right up my alley -- I'm going to have to check them out. I love that period of fiction and those English writers. :D Interesting also about the new Ann Rice book. I guess she's just a bit too preachy these days. Oh well.

mainely stitching said...

I read and re-read Middlemarch when I was living in Germany. It was one of the few English books I had. I really love George Elliot's wryness. (Is that a word?)

The Quakers look great. I also did this one in an RR a few years ago and I absolutely love looking at my finished one. :D

Sally said...

Both Quaker RRs are gorgeous Deb. Love the colours.

Deb said...

Thanks, dear friends. I'm happy you enjoyed the suggestions and reviews. Nothing's better than reading except stitching! ;]

samplerlover said...

Hi Deb,
Beautiful Quakers. Colours are lovely. I am sure you will love yours when you actually see it.
Well you know that I love Cranford lol. Such a fantastic DVD. I have all of the Elizabeth Gaskell's in your sent. Everyone of them is just beautiful. I now have my DIL hooked on Elizabeth G. Also have Middlemarch. The book is beside my bed to read. Whenever I get there. - Sandra.

Marjo said...

Hi, thank you for the sweet comment on my blog. We do share a love of Quakers. The Amazon idea is new to me as well. My husband is checking into as we speak. I think the Quaker you are referring to in your post is Mary Busby and it is available through the cross stitch guild in England. Ellen Chester is currently stitching it. I got mine through the guild. Was not bad to ship over to US and I even got the Persalls silks to try with it. I love trying new silks. I have not yet started it. Marjo

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

This is really beautiful. I can not wait to view the rest of your site.
Thanks for joining mine.
Maggie

a Pocket Angel said...

Deborah, I too love Ann Rice. Right now on the last 100 pages of "The Witching hour" and hope to read the rest of Mayfair Witches trilogy soon.
Angel Time is on my reading list. I'll wait til it comes out in paperback.
Thanks so much for the review!
Blessings ~Mary~ :-}

Kajsa said...

Thanks for the book reviews, I have to put some down for my to read list. Your RR's look beautiful!

Brigitte said...

These Friendship Quakers look so good. And so different because of the different colour schemes.
I love Elizabeth Gaskell and George Eliot very much - have to see if I can get Middlemarch on DVD.

Meari said...

Both samplers look great, Deb.