Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Weeks Work!

I have been busy this week tinkering and reading and trying to catch up on sleep that has come easily for a change! I love cigar boxes to keep my stitching things in. My dear friends, Elaine and Darlene, have such courage and they go in one of our local cigar shops every so often and get empty boxes for me!! Aren't they darling friends? I love this new one Elaine got for me at her embarrassment. She told me when she pulled it out of the middle of a stack...the whole thing came down on her! Oops! But, she just graciously took the treasure and scrammed...I love her gutsy ways. That's why she's my friend. This little treasure box is full of pieces needing to be finished by trimming out with silk ribbons and beads. Here is the first of Grammie's Valentine Huggie Bears for my grandbabies. I made this one for my darling granddaughter, Amelia, who lives in NYC. She is 6 years old and a beautiful little girl who loves cuddly things and American girl dolls, princess and fairy things, all things pink and frilly. She's a girly girl and I just love to send her things to cuddle with. Amelia has cerebral palsy so she doesn't talk much, but she has a radiant smile, a beautiful character and spirit and disposition, and she is just beautiful physically. She's the heart of my heart. She goes to a very special school in NYC where she is learning to get out or her wheelchair and walk! And, she's learning to use a computer to communicate. Amelia adores her Daddy, my son - Frank - and is expecting a new baby sister in May!! :) Progress this week on my Heaven & Earth Designs RR block for Lyndsay's piece. I'm really trying to get this piece out by the end or middle of February, so I'm spending more time on it than anything else. Actually, to the detriment of my Cirque. Most of the tiny, different threads are in this upper-most section. Once I get to the face, the threads don't vary much, so it will go faster. I love working on it, and highly recommend the HAED Quick Stitches if you want to get your "feet wet." http://www.heavenandearthdesigns.com/

I don't know why this pic came out a little fuzzy...but here's my progress this week on Leslie's piece in our Neighborhood RR. It's coming along! Since it's on the lighter fabric, and not the black as the original recommends (June Morning chart), I'm going to choose a different color for the background of the door and window frames this week. Have to see what strikes me...
And, finally, my scavanger hunt for papers and pretties to make my paper dress for "Queens and Harpies: Altered Paper Dresses with Panache" RR. I chose Marie Antoinette, naturally, and will make her up this week.
Go see Jessica! She chose Madame Pompadour! LOL I love it that we are so different! http://everythingexpectant.blogspot.com/ Our blogsite to see what we're all up to can be found at http://queensandharpies.blogspot.com/ Again, if you'd like to join us, please email me: interiorsbydeb2@aol.com

This has been too long an entry, but I'm having a HOPE-FILLED January, as planned. I'm reading "War and Peace" and have mixed feelings about it, but so enjoy reading and commenting with my group online. Tolstoy was such a chauvanist!! That's hard for me... I think women are of the highest order of humankind, and it's a pity that Tolstoy missed that insight. Thus, it's difficult for me not to see his intelligence and "genius" as flawed.

My thoughts this week were about the brevity of life, and how precious our relationships are. I watched the old movie (you know what an old movie hound I am!), called "Trip to Bountiful." What a movie to sink into your heart. In a nutshell, it's about an elderly woman who lives with her only son and daughter-in-law. She is miserable living there, treated worse than a servant - her DIL resents her - her son feels in the middle - and she just "want(s) to go home to Bountiful," which represents life and freedom to her. She runs away to go "home." The trip and what she finds along the way are so poignant and meaningful. Very thought-provoking movie with all the symbolism you can imagine.

Have a wonderful week full of precious, memory-making times with those you love.

This week, I especially appreciate the friendships of: Giulia, Heather, Nicole, Harmien, Elaine, and my precious Jessica! Thank you for your kind words and deeds this week! Hugs and love, Deb/Mutti

17 comments:

Patricia Lessell said...

You have had a very full week that is for sure and it sounds like you really enjoyed it all. I really love everything you have done and I love all the bits and bobs too and I loved hearing about your Amelia too and would love to see her picture as I can't imagine anybody coming from your genes being anything but absolutely gorgeous. Lots and lots of love Patti xxx

Anonymous said...

So nice catching up with you Deb! You are one busy bee! Just love your cigar box stitchery treasure chest. I've just been using the cigar paper strips for some wacky dog themed gothic arches, stop by for a giggle! I've missed chatting with you! Cheers from Magpie's Nest :)

Myrna said...

I too love cigar boxes... I'll have to see if hubby will pick me up some! LOL

You surely do keep busy!

Jennifer said...

Hi Deb,
Came to your blog through Barbara in Holland. I am new to blogging and I'm trying to meet some other stitchers and see others folks' finished works and WIP. I love the cigar boxes. My dad has a basement full of them. Now the wooden ones are becoming popular to make into purses. He just laughs at that.

Karin said...

Fantastic updates - I can't wait to see your dress! It sounds like such an interesting idea.

Juls said...

It was so great chatting with you today!!! You have been busy! I love the cigar box idea.....You have some great projects on the go!!!!

Meari said...

Your granddaughter is adorable, Deb. I'm sure she'll love that lil bear. :)

Teresa said...

Your granddaughter is lovely! She has the sweetest face.

Cheryl said...

Your granddaughter is lovely and i love the bear you made for her! What a lovely Grammie you are.
I havent worked much on my Cirque either, been trying to finish off a RR. Your wips are looking good

tintocktap said...

Love your cigar box, but then, boxes can be such fun - real treasure chests! Amelia looks like a lovely sweet tempered little girl - I'm sure she'll love the bear.

mainely stitching said...

I remember saving special things in cigar boxes as a child! I didn't know they still made them. I'll have to check the tobacco shop here in town to see if they ever have empties ...

Sue said...

My Deb, you sure have been busy. Everything looks wonderful ;)

Artifax said...

What a busy week for you! I'm in awe of how much life and zest you pack into every week! Cigar boxes are just the best aren't they - so very versitile!

Now, how did I know you were going to choose Marie Antoinette over Madame Pompadour? :) Me too :)

Lizzie said...

Deborah, "Trip to Bountiful" was Geraldine Page's last film. She was incredible in that. This is a favorite movie of mine and my mothers and in the end when she begins to sob because she doesn't think she will get to see her girlhood home, I always sob too, even though I know she will get to go there!!!

*sniff*

Your little bears are so precious. What lovely memories you are creating for your grandbabies!

My blog is now "invite only" can you send me an email so I have your address and can add you to the invitations?

Miokka said...

Amelia is beautiful! Love the huggie bear too! Too bad I have a fear of machines with needles!
The cigar boxes are the best thing. I'm becoming a regular at our local Cigar Bar.... the neighbors are starting to talk!
Hope to see you soon! Remember big Super Bowl Sale this weekend at Golden Needle. I'm working Saturday! Come see!!!
xoxo
~~Martha~~

LODY said...

hi deb,
it's been a while since i visited your bog my dear, but as always, your posts inspires me... you have such a busy crafting life. i'm sure your little angels will love the bears. Amelia is such a pretty girl, just like her grammy.:)
btw, i finally open a blog this month and added yours on my faves.:)
hugs,
lody

Michelle said...

I too love cigar boxes to hold things - I have one that holds my receipts, one that holds some keepsake things from Eric, so on and so forth. Such pretty photos you've got on this post. I love how the HAED RR is coming along. I would so love to do one - they come out so pretty!