Saturday, February 2, 2008

Just Bloggin'

"Art is in the doing. It isn't important how it turns out. The process is where the pleasure, the learning and the experience take place. A day without some sort of creative endeavor is a wasted day." Myrna Wacknov, "Splendid Over 60" , article from the latest issue of The Artist's Magazine.

This quote is so true and such an inspiration in its own way. Creativity and "art" is the act of being brave enough to find your self-expression, your style, your "voice," through deliberate acts of artistic experimentation. It's the courage to make mistakes in that creative journey of discovering yourself. Art really isn't easy, as many people think, but it's a worthy endeavour that brings a special delight to one's heart for having taken up the challenge. Often you discover more about yourself than you expected.

Making art or being creative is something everyone can do in one way or another. It really isn't just for the few who are "gifted," though ultimately, some do have a certain gift of a special vision because they cultivate it...or it may be an inate ability like math to someone else. It may be a particular brain function, a gift from God, or just plain hard work~! And, somebody is always going to br better at it than me or you because that's life, isn't it!? So, there's no use comparing...there's only learning!

It takes heart and bravery to face a few failures and awful looking results of our creative efforts to get to the good stuff! As a fine arts student, I often found...as did all of my fellow students...that we had to run through lots of pre-sketches and several painting attempts that got trashed before we could produce something of any beauty or worth! Many times it was boring and frustrating. Then, it was amazing and wonderful when just the perfect piece came out, finally! And came with such ease and flow!! It's part of the creative process!! We learned that it was just a part of it...a way to get to our best work.
I promise you that the best and most brilliant artists of all time painted and repainted their genius pieces many times over and threw out countless canvases and sketches before they produced the best of the best!!

So, please, don't give up on yourself if you're trying to create something new. Don't think you aren't creative or artistic just because your first effort or 2 or 3 looks dismal. Try it again. I always figure my first attempt is for the trash barrel.

It's like making pancakes....my first one or two always get tossed out..they look awful!! I like the next ones much better!!! :))
I have a beautiful hand illustrated/illuminated framed piece in my house that reads:
Love
The artist's earliest effort
wrought with care
The bard's first ballad
written...in his tears...
set by his later toil...seems
poor and tame...and into
nothing dwindles at the test
So..with the passions of the
maturer years...let those who
will--demand the first fond flame...
Give me the heart's last love (art)
for that is best...
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Here's to making art! And, here's to you brave souls who are willing to try this year of my Hopeful journey!!
Love and hugs,
Deb
PS: I received a sweet email from Myra whom I quoted at the beginning, tonight. She was happy to see the quote!

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Mom,
That was a beautiful entry. I agree, it takes courage to creative. I think it also takes vulnerability, to share that part of you, that comes from the soul, and not the mind. I love you Mom. You are brilliant.

K+1

Michele B. said...

Thank you so much for this. As a new stitcher who has just made another big mistake in a project, it's a good reminder to keep my focus on the pleasure rather than the performance of stitching. I really appreciate your wise thoughts.

Nicole & Phil said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
Yes, all those fabrics I classify as uglies, or "stuff in my stash that I have no idea what to do with", or "it doesn't go with anything else", or "I don't know what to do with this fabric"

I am trying relly hard to bite into my stash and make things, and then not feel guilty when I buy more fabric!
This week I have busted heaps of stash to make tumbler blocks, a pentagon paper pieced quilt, and disappearing nine patch quilts.
So, next week I am rewarding myself with a visit to the quilt shop to top up on "yellow fabrics and orange fabrics"! :)

I am intrigued with your paper dress exchange, and really looking forward to seeing what you make with your theme! I think it is a terrific idea
What I would like to know is what you plan to do with them once you have a collection of them?

Cheers
Nicole

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post Deb!!! Would you believe it, I just used that same quote on my blog = great minds! I really enjoyed reading all you wrote here. Happy Creating!
~*~ Patty at Magpie's Nest

Melissa said...

Deb, Thank you so much for your comment on my blog! I'm going through all 56 Nancy Drew books right now and I'm on #20 currently! I feel so silly at the Library, but hey I love reading them! LOL
I totally agree with you on your thoughts about art and being creative! I think also it can depend on finding the medium that you are good at too. When I found silk ribbon embroidery I fell in LOVE and it comes a lot easier to me to create in it than when I tried painting. My high school art teacher used to quote "Art is making order out of chaos" and I always remember that when I'm working on something! Crazy Quilting is so fun to do like a puzzle to figure out, most of the time I create a single block and then frame it. But I also love usable art so sometimes I'll make handbags too, and I'm just starting the beginning stages of my first large crazy quilt bedspread.
Melissa

Wanda said...

Wonderful blog! You do go through some messes to get to the masterpiece it just comes with it.

mainely stitching said...

Great sentiment - and the comparison to pancakes is so funny and true!

Anonymous said...

Great post.. very true. I don't know how many of those big newsprint pads I went through in my art classes LOL

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes practice pancakes :)

BeckySC said...

I'm popping in to give you a (((((((((((((((((((hugs hug))))))))))))))) You are such a sweetie :)

Have a great week :)

tintocktap said...

Great post and a wonderful reminder. In my family, I'm in the group who isn't 'arty' unlike both my sisters. However, I also think it's good to compare art and creativity and where the two meet. I probably see myself as more creative than arty but the boundary is much more fluid than I think!