Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Fun of It All!

What fun I've been having this past week and today! This morning Jessica came by and we (belatedly) decided to finish our "Queens & Harpies" paper dresses. We've been collecting, researching, talking, emailing, planning and thinking about this for a few weeks. It was "D-day!" design day!!!

Jessica is a creative soul...and so artistic, too, though she is reluctant to claim it. She always excelled at art and, yet, she values much more the rational and logical side of herself, I think. The creative things come easily to her. Before I could even get started, Jessica had her dress sketched and was cutting the pieces out! She's going to post the picture of her "Madame Pompadour" on her blog either tonight or tomorrow. http://everythingexpectant.com/

I chose to do "Marie Antoinette," as you have heard a million times. First, I drew out a "dressform" for us to use on all our paper dresses. (IF any of you would like a copy of it...please email me for one interiorsbydeb2@aol.com and I will be happy to send you one). Jess and I decided it would be best to make a sort of mannikin form...which I did. My little "Marie" was born from that. I want to encourage you all to try this paper dressmaking. It really is alot of fun to do! I'll be happy to send you a form to practice on!

My blasted camera really blew out on me today, so I have no pictures of all my stitching progress this week! Rats!! But, Harmien, I am nearly finished with your McGoblin Girl, so she will be on her way to you by next month. And, I've been making some progress on my Cirque, and HAED RR, and Neighborhood RR. Also, I finished stitching my first ornie for the Bride's ornaments SAL. And, I've stitched some little pincushions for the practice of finishing things.

Jessica found out she's having a baby girl! Her name will be Mackenzie Pearl Magill! So, we are all delighted, and now I'm finding little things I can knit for her. Jessica thought I was nuts today when I bent down to her tummy and kinda spoke loudly, "Mackenzie, hello! This is your grammie, and I love you!!" She said, "Mom! What are you doing? Kevin did that, too, last night!" I told her we weren't talking to her...we were now talking to Mackenzie! (Giggle!! :p)

I also finally received my new Kindle from Amazon.com on Tuesday! OMG, I have to say this was nothing short of the joys of receiving a diamond ring to me!!! It is the most amazing reading device, and I keep touching and holding and reading with it like it's gold from the Taj Mahal! If you've not read about it or haven't seen one, please go to Amazon.com and see all about it. I'm just in heaven....I've already downloaded 3 books....trying to be conservative. "Sister Carrie" by Theodore Drieser was only $2.29, because it's a classic! New hardbacks are $9.99. It's so light in my hands, just a perfect weight for reading in bed because I don't have to worry about propping it up! And, turning the pages is a click away. I could go on ad nauseum. I'm reading my first Tasha Alexander book via Kindle.

*New to me movies I loved this week while stitching:

"Crossed Over" - (Starring Diane Keaton) About the children's book author, Beverly Lowry's relationship with death row convict Karla Faye Tucker, an axe murderess who was executed in Texas by consent of Gov. George Bush just before he became President. Lowry had lost her only son, and somehow connected emotionally with Tucker. An amazing, gripping story.

"Cries and Whispers" - (Starring Liv Ullman) About two sisters who are taking care of their dying sister in her gorgeous 1900's mansion in Sweden. The whole film centers around the death and the sisters' relationships with eachother, as well as the dying sister's relationship with her housemaid. It's a somber movie, but very powerful and gorgeous!

I continue to read "War and Peace," and to enjoy it, although, yes...it's a big book. Barbara, what possessed you to read it more than once??? I've been having a long and academic discussion with my Russian Reading Group about Tolstoy's chauvanism. Fun...

I'm hopeful and happy. My heart is keeping pace with things so far this year. I love each of you, my friends, and think of you everyday. I love my local friends, and make sure to reach out to them, too. I adore my daughter, and spend as much time as I can with her. And, my sons and grandchildren are the delights of my heart and keep me going! What more could I want?

Here's to your happy and hopeful weekend ahead! Hugs, Deb

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

How lovely that Jessica is having a baby girl! Very exciting!

Sally said...

How wonderful that Jessica is having a baby girl. I LOVE the name she's chosen:)

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

CONGRATS on the baby grand-daughter...oh my....nothing better than a wee baby to hold and extra special when it's a girl...although...I loved my boys too..., so I guess it's just special no matter what sex they are! CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Katrina said...

Congrats on the the baby girl, I am partial to the name Pearl, it was my grandmothter's middle name.

Can't wait to see your Marie Antoinette!

Katrina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacque said...

Congrats again to Jessica...girls are so much fun! : )

Miokka said...

Wooo whoooo!! Congratulations! I'm sooo happy you are going to be a girl grammie!
You are such a busy bee! I need to figure out how you find so many hours in the day!
I have been lusting over the Kindle.. but think I need to wait till they make it waterproof!
Hope to see you soon!
xoxo
~~Martha~~

Von said...

Hurray for granddaughters!! :D

Hope your camera is fixed soon. Gotta keep up with all your marvelous projects.

Simone said...

Congratulations on having a granddaughter! I know she is going to be spoiled rotten by you ;)
Everything well with mama Jessica?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations-- girls are fun (and everything's so pink and lacy)!!

I am sorta surprised you didn't push for the name Marie, though LOL!