Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Little Kell-Lion Is Ruling the NICU!

Can you believe this darling picture my DH took of little Kellan's hand in his Daddy's hand? This is his second day, and his daddy was visiting him to soothe him in the NICU. See his tiny heart patch and monitor to the right?
Daddy, Kevin, holding Kellan up. Kellan is getting some oxygen and breathing help because of immature lungs at this point. But, otherwise, all is well. He is the largest baby in the NICU, and the healthiest.

We have been playing with his nickname for months as "Kell-lion," so it was funny that his main NICU nurse (without even knowing his nickname!) had made a big name card for him with glitter and a sticker of a baby lion on it! Then, they changed him to a hooded warmer and put a lion king type flannel blanket over it! Jessica was so delighted!! :)

Jessica went home today, but Kevin and I will be taking her daily to see Kellan. She and Kevin (and I) are so grateful for your sweet notes and prayers.

Love and hugs, Kellan's mommy, daddy and grammie

12 comments:

Katrina said...

What a cutie! Glad he is doing so well. Lots of good thoughts and prayers that he will be going home soon :-).

Stitching Cat said...

Congrats to Grammie, Jessica and Kevin! What a shock when I looked at your blog tonight and saw the sweet face of Kellan! Glad that all is well - give Kellan and Jess a big hug and kiss from me. Miss you, Deb

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you all, Deb!! What a surprise to have Kellan with you so soon. He is absolutely gorgeous!! Wishing him a speedy trip home with his mum and dad!!

mainely stitching said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing so well! And how is Jessica? Could you email me with her snail-mail addy so I can get a wee gift off for the newest family member?

Sally said...

Beautiful photos Deb:) Kellan is such a little cutie.

Nicole said...

Oh Deb, he's so sweet! Hopefully he'll get to go home soon. I know it must be so hard for Jessica not to have him with her! I love the picture of his little hand in his daddy's. And love the nickname! :)

Jenn said...

oohhhhh I just love the picture of his little hand in his moms. I hope he gets to come home soon. Hugs to everyone!

samplerlover said...

Hi Deb, well what a surprise I just got. Congratulations to Grammie and Grandpa. I hope Jessica is feeling alot better. Kellan is beautiful and by the sounds of it he is doing well. Hopefully it won't be long before he is home - Thinking of you all - Sandra.

Juls said...

Congrats to all!!! Kellan is adoreable!!!!! I know as soon as you are able he will be covered in kisses!!! Which is as it should be!!!! Tell Jessica and Kevin congrats from Las Vegas!!!!!!

Wendy said...

Congratulations to all of you on this arrival of this beautiful baby! He just couldn't wait to make his entrance!! Sending good thoughts for Kellan's quick release home and to Jessica for a speedy recovery.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I'm catching up on all the blogs and I see Kellan made his appearance. Deb...all of my babies (all 4 of them) were "premies" Katie, Ian and Jacob were all 6 weeks early and Ellie was 4 week early. Katie, Ellie and Jacob although in the NICU never had any issues. Ian on the other hand was 4 weeks early, a boy, a twin and large so he had some issues because they had given me morphine to try and stop my labor and he was so big that he had a lot of it in his system, plus he had a lot of mass to move to breathe...so he was on a CPAP for the first 72 hours of life. I understand the heartache, sense of failure and pain (twins were c-sections too) that Jessica is going through. Please tell her that I'm thinking of her. Kellan will be fine and she did a stunning job. Prayers to be said for Jessica, Kellan and the whole family. Much love and congratulations to you all!

Meari said...

Awww.. what a teeney-tiny little hand! :)