Thursday, August 9, 2007

Books I'm Loving Right Now

Just a quick note to tell you my latest (after Harry) reading and forage finds at Borders, Books-a-Million, and Barnes!

The River Wife by Jonis Agee is a beautifully written and interesting tale. Ms. Agee was inspired by an actual occurrence that took place in the early 1800's in the Mid-West. An earthquake caused a young girl to be crushed and trapped under a house beam in her bed...her family deserted her...the river waters near her house began to rise threatening to drown her...and a handsome French trapper serendipitiously finds and rescues her. She becomes his wife and starts a family legacy. Her future great granddaughter (in law) pregnant in the 1930's finds her journals and mysterious things happen. It's a really good book which I strongly recommend.

Another Jane Austen treasure book!! The Jane Austen Miscellany by Lesley Bolton is so pretty, so ruffled edged, so delicately illustrated, and chockful of our dear Jane's charming quips....it's impossible to leave out of your library. Austen fans will love it. Anyone will love having the little book. I can see some darling tiny samplers with quotes from Jane.

Then, American Bloomsbury by Susan Cheever is new for my non-fiction read this summer. It chronicals "..lives, ...loves, ...work," of such American authors as: Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Henry David Thoreau. It's a fairly slim volume, and interesting. Susan Cheever is a great writer.

6 comments:

jane said...

Okay, I'm going to take you up on your recommendation and get that book - The River Wife.
Are you able to get around much? I know from experience [broke both legs, about 6 months apart] that even if you do love to stitch and read etc., when you have to stay in, it can drive you crazy. I am still praying for you.

Patricia Lessell said...

I'm listening to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince on my iPod just now. I get book for it from Audible - a great service and I love it to bits (not as much as I love you but you know). One book I would really recommend you read is We Must Talk About Kevin - it was a really thought provoking book and even now a good month after I finished it I can't stop thinking about it.

So glad you are feeling better.

All my love

Patti xxx

monique said...

Hmmm The River Wife sounds interesting... I'll add it to my list :)

Did you ever get my "about me" email?

Deb said...

Thanks for your interest in books, everyone! Queenie, I'm going to look for that book you mentioned.
Hugs,
DEb

Nicki said...

The Jane Austen one sound interesting :) I just love Jane Austen!

Kyriaki said...

The Jane Austen one sounds lovely.

Thanks for your comments on my darling - he's Noon Basking, by Dracolair. The colours are so vivid in real life :)

Glad to know of your blog too.

Happy stitching!

Kyrie